The Living with Lead Alliance was established to develop and deliver an extensive and ongoing public education campaign to ensure the health of Mount Isa residents. The ‘Living Safely with Lead’ campaign will remind us that lead exists in Mount Isa and it is manageable, making Mount Isa a safe place to live. The Lead Alliance will provide you with information about how to minimise exposure to lead for you and your family.
The Lead Alliance has a two-fold objective:
- To raise awareness in the Mount Isa community about lead and its potential health effects
- To drive practical, evidence-based behavioural changes to limit exposure to lead
The goal of the Alliance is to achieve a sustainable improvement in the health of the Mount Isa community by effectively managing programs to assist the community in working towards a safe and healthier lifestyle for Mount Isa children.
Achieving this goal requires focus on the following objectives:
- To stimulate behavioural change within the community so that all residents follow safe and hygienic practices for living and working in the Mount Isa environment.
- To work cooperatively to reduce the potential for exposure to lead in all forms.
- To be accountable to the community for monitored results achieved through regular reporting.
- To ensure, through ongoing monitoring, that blood lead levels in children aged between 0 and 5 years are maintained at below the World Health Organisation recommendation.
Congratulations to all the winners of the Lead Alliance Backyard Improvement Program 2017
The 2017 Backyard Improvement Program was a huge success this year, with over 45 entrants joining and 29 completing the program by submitting their after photos. The Alliance commend all the hard work and effort of all entrants, you should all be very proud of the improvements made, by reducing the amount of bare soil areas in yards ensuring that children have a safe and healthy place to play, learn and grow. The entries were exceptional this year and choosing winners was extremely difficult with entrants making such positive changes and creating beautiful gardens, getting the children involved in growing vegetables and teaching them the importance of hand washing and healthy eating. The Alliance congratulate all winners and look forward to the 2018 program which will launch in April.
A big thank you to our sponsors for making this program possible: Adels Grove, Mount Isa Home & Garden Centre, Bunnings Mount Isa, The North West Star, Mob Fm, Hot Fm and 4LM.