Congratulations to all the winners of the Lead Alliance Backyard Improvement Program 2018
2018 marked another year of exceptional entries to the Backyard Program, which makes choosing winners extremely difficult. Twenty-eight families joined the program and 11 completed the competition. Such beautiful yards, gardens and play areas were created and the Alliance commend all entrants for their commitment and hard work ensuring that children have a safe and healthy place to play, learn and grow.
By involving children in the yard work, parents have a unique opportunity to model and reinforce lead smart messages and behaviours that help prevent high blood lead levels:
- Wash hands after playing outside, petting animals and before eating
- Take shoes off at the door before entering the home, keeping yard shoes & work boots outside
- Thoroughly wash all home-grown fruit and vegetables; peel root vegetables before cooking and eating; and the importance of good nutrition in preventing lead absorption
- Cover bare soil areas where children play
- Mulch bare soil areas in garden beds
Winners of the Backyard Improvement Program 2018 were presented with their prizes on Tuesday 30th October 2018 by the Lead Alliance Committee members at the Mount Isa Home and Garden Centre.