Free blood lead level testing
Free, confidential blood lead level testing is available from Queensland Medical Laboratory (QML). Testing is available to all Mount Isa residents. QML is open from 7.30am – 2pm, Monday – Friday. No appointment is necessary.
The Lead Alliance would like to encourage all residents to have their blood lead level tested. For more information please contact the Lead Alliance on freecall 1800 457 547.
LEADSmart education program
The LEADSmart Education Program is another initiative developed by the Lead Alliance to enhance education and awareness of lead and how to reduce exposure within the Mount Isa community. This program has been implemented to encourage living safely with lead practices within Mount Isa schools, kindergartens, day care centres and playgroups and to educate Mount Isa teachers, parents, carers and students about lead and how to reduce blood lead levels.
- Estelle Cardiff Kindergarten Mount Isa
- Eileen Fisher Memorial Kindergarten
- Happy Valley Kindergarten Mount Isa
- Injilinji Community Kindergarten
- Mount Isa Day Nursery and Kindergarten
- Mount Isa Family Day care Centre
- PCYC Outside Hours School Care
- Red Oasis Early Education Centre
- St Pauls Lutheran Child Care Centre
- Sunset Community Kindergarten Mount Isa
- Happy Valley Primary School
- Barkly Highway State School
- Central State School
- Mount Isa Special School
- St Kierans Catholic School
- Sunset State School
- Townview State School
The LEADSmart Education Program not only encourages education and awareness of lead within the community, it also recognises the efforts of local groups to provide a safe environment for Mount Isa children.
To learn more about LEADSmart or to find out how to become a LEADSmart group, please contact the Lead Alliance on 1800 457 547.
Greening Mount Isa funding program
In their support of the Mount Isa community, Premier Bligh and the Queensland Government set aside $1 million for a major initiative entitled ’Greening Mount Isa’ designed to provide better recreational and environmental facilities for children and young people in Mount Isa.
The fund has provided grants to community, school and sporting organisations for a broad range of activities that contribute to a healthier lifestyle for Mount Isa city’s children.
The first round of Greening Mount Isa funding provided fifteen (15) local junior education facilities with a combined total of $269,000 of funding. Funding recipients include:
- Mount Isa Special School, Barkly Highway State School
- Happy Valley State School, Healy State School
- Mount Isa Central School, Sunset State School
- St Kieran School, Eileen Fisher Kindergarten
- Estelle Cardiff Kindergarten, Injilinji Kindergarten
- Mount Isa Day Kindergarten & Nursery
- Island BMX
- St Pauls Lutheran Church Child Care Centre
- Mount Isa Playgroup
- Mount Isa PCYC
Round two of the funding was available to local junior sporting organisation and public parks. These projects carried the same purpose of reducing dirt and dust and improving grounds for young children in Mount Isa.
Round two of the Greening Mount Isa Fund supplied $400,000 of funding for projects such as improved irrigation and bore systems, spectator seating and improvements to existing ground cover. This funding has made significant improvements to the grounds on which children play sport in Mount Isa.Groups. Round two funding recipients include:
- Mount Isa Rugby League
- Mount Isa Softball Association
- Mount Isa Touch Association
- North West Soccer Zone
- AFL Mount Isa
- Four public parks